To sustain the operation of the Virunga Park - 790,000 acres - a vast project to build hydroelectric turbines was considered. The elevations of the region are important and many streams are present. Potential sites have been identified in a preliminary study for a total of 20 to 30 MW of installed capacity. As part of this overall project, TPF-Utilities was awarded the basic design for the first two sites selected : Lubero (+/- 2 MW) and Rutshuru (+/- 18 MW).
For sites Rutshuru and Lubero the mission of TPF-Utilities is as follows:
- Characterization of rivers (flow measurement campaigns and gauge).
- Topographical Surveys.
- Establishment of an annual profile available power.
- Identification of local power needs and establishing a profile of annual electricity consumption.
- Optimum Design of the hydroelectric generation.
- Design of civil engineering (water intake, waterway, duct and production building).
- Cost Estimate + / -15%.
- Execution plans for civil works (formwork and reinforcement).