The rupture of Samarco's dam, on November 2015, in the sub-district of Bento Rodrigues, near the historical city of Mariana, caused profound changes in the landscape and life of local residents. Synergia has been leading since May 2016 the social work on the 41 municipalities affected between Minas Gerais and Espírito Santo.
One of the activities in support of this challenge if the preparation of a Public Finance Diagnosis of the 41 Municipalities Directly Affected by Effects of the Rupture of Fundão Dam, in Mariana/MG. Such study aims to assist Fundação Renova in the debate and negotiation process of repair policies related to effects of the event on the municipalities, allocated between the State of Minas Gerais and Espírito Santo.
These are goals of the work performed by SINERGIA:
- To provide a macro view on the economic status of the territory affected by the rupture of Fundão dam, by means of an historical analysis and construction of economic projections in the 41 municipalities;
- To establish comparative parameters with control municipalities groups, with no relation to the affected territory;
- To measure the investments already performed by Fundação Renova and impacts generated by its contractors;
- To create economic scenarios to assist Fundação Renova with the necessary elements to negotiate compensations with affected municipalities.
The diagnosis involves:
- A socioeconomic characterization of the municipalities in a period prior to the rupture of the dam;
- A socioeconomic characterization of these same municipalities in the present, as well as expectations for the next 5 years;
- An analysis of the positive effects brought by Fundação Renova on the affected territories, whether by means of investments already performed in the municipalities, or due to a collection increase caused by its contractors.