HRL Madrid –Valencia –Murcia is one of the key projects of the Spanish Government’s Strategic Plan to provide high speed rail connection (300 km/h) between Madrid and the country’s main towns and cities.
Main features of the Arcas del Villar – Fuentes section of HRL Madrid –Valencia –Murcia:
- Section length: 12.42 km of double track
- Design speed: 350 km/h
- Maximum slope: 2.5%. Minimum radius: 7.250 m.
- Track gauge: 1.435 m. Track formation width: 14 m.
- 1 viaduct 320 m in length.
- 1 tunnel 1,362 m in length (282 m of cut-and-cover tunnel) with a 173 m2 cross section.
- 1 cut-and-cover tunnel of 335 m length, with a 100 m2cross section.
- 3 overpasses and 5 underpasses.
The alignment proposed in the feasibility study ran across a karst endorheic valley. The route was modified during the design phase allowing for safety improvements.