GETINSA - Consulting services to carry out a feasibility study for the construction of the tunnels under Suez Canal
Port Said Tunnel Project is part of the Sinai Peninsula government’s attempt to develop transport infrastructure in Egypt, due to the recent economic growth in the area. The purpose of this project is the construction of a new link between the mainland and the peninsula across Suez Canal.
The Canal section has been sustainably increased since its construction in order to handle maritime traffic growth. At present, the Canal total width is about 300 m, and the total depth is 200 m.
Main features of the project:
- Road tunnels:
- Length of each tunnel: 3.6 km
- Tunnel diameter: 13 m
- Two lanes of 2×3.75 = 7.5 m
- Slip road: 0.6 m
- Two sidewalks: 2×1 m = 2m
- Total = approx. 10.10 m
- 2,500 m long
- Railway tunnels:
- Track gradient (by using electric traction): 2.5%
- Tunnel length: 3.25 km
- Profile distance of double-track lane: 8.1 m x 5.5 m
- As for the railway tunnel, the track gauge is 1,435 mm. The minimum distance between the track center lines is 3.5 m and between these lines and the nearest structure is 2.34 m. The minimum height of the rail top is 5 m.
- Tunnel dimensions:
- Minimum inside diameter: 10.80 m
- Minimum outside diameter: 11.80 m
- Maximum gradient of road surface: 3.3 % / Maximum gradient of railway: 2,5 %
- Minimum vertical radius of alignment: 3,000 m
- Road tunnels will be accessible to all types of vehicles and trucks.
- Electrified railway line.