The Costa del Sol Railway Corridor serves the main tourist locations on the Mediterranean coast of Andalusia. This new high-performance railway line interconnects the main towns of Costa del Sol and links to the high-speed rail corridor Madrid-Córdoba-Malaga.
The aim of the project was to conduct the detailed design of the infrastructure, superstructure, systems, buildings, architecture of the stations and security elements, signalling and communications systems on the line between the towns of San Pedro de Alcantara and Estepona. The main constraints of the project were the lack of space due to the densely populated urban centres, and proximity to the sea.
The main features of the section are:
- Length: 17.2 km of double track
- Track type: slab track and conventional ballasted track
- Tunnel length: 36.97 km
- 1 viaduct on the technical branch over the River Padron: length 106.55 m, 3 spans (28.28 +50+ 28.28). U-shaped section and variable depth. Deep foundation
- 4 underground stations
- Workshops and depots with their equipment
- Electrification: 1×25 kV 50 Hz
- Railway installations: train protection system complying with European standard ERTMS / ETCS Level 2 (GSM-R)
- Non-railway installations: systems and equipment at the stations, workshops and depots. Medium voltage ring 20 kV with 20 / 0.4 kV transformer. Communications and remote control system.